Sunday 28 August 2011

What's For Dinner?

I have been told in the past that I talk about food - specifically food that I eat - quite a bit in conversations with others. My working hypothesis is that this might have something to do with the fact that I really enjoy eating food, but the jury is still out. Part of the reason I was excited to visit Japan was the cuisine, which also happened to be part of the reason I was a little anxious to come over. While it's easy to say, when asked where you'd like to go to dinner; "I like Japanese. Why not that?", it's a little harder to declare that "my entire diet is Japanese food and I have little choice in the matter".
Donuts! But Japanese!
Luckily I live in one of Japan's largest cities, which means that I avoid the oft-cited pitfall of never being able to eat "Western" food. Cereal is weird, but it's there. Bread, yup. Peanut butter is expensive, but it's available. You get the picture. Sendai has a lot of foreign food shops, like "Jupiter", "Kalbi", and "Yamaya", which are great for satisfying any cravings you might have for less Japanese food. There's a large Yamaya by my house, which I tend to go to almost as much as my grocery store. I'm still transitioning, okay?

Peanut butter. Oh yes.
The fact that I work at a night school doesn't lend itself to culinary adventures, either. Dinner is usually the meal that I put the most effort in, and being served it at school five days a week means that the only chance I have to don my chef's hat is on the weekend. Which also happens to be the time I usually choose to eat out.

Matt makes good sushi. I do not.
Speaking of eating out, that's another great thing about Sendai. Restaurants are everywhere, as befits a city. Most of them cater heavily to the locals, and by that I mean they are very difficult to navigate without speaking Japanese. It's a lot easier to tackle these kinds of places when in groups, which is why I usually wait until the weekend to eat out. There are restaurants with English-speaking staff and menus to be found, however, and you've found yourself a gem if that place also happens to serve good food. One such place is Kame House (which will be described in detail either because of its prominence amongst Sendai restaurants or because it's the only one I went to with my camera; you decide). 

Kame = Turtle. Turtle House! No turtles were around, however.
Kame House is cool on the inside. 
Kame House has a reputation amongst the foreigner community in Sendai for being a great place to get a burger if the craving for one hits you while you are still unwilling to go to McDonalds. The atmosphere is great, the prices aren't too steep, and communicating with the staff isn't an issue. And did I mention they serve burgers? What more could you ask for?

...presumably after it rubs the lotion on its skin.
Happy Burger indeed!
Kame House gets 10/10, but I might have to dock points if it insists on being on the other side of the subway line. 

...I like talking about food, okay?

Two albums were used for today's post, so I will link one here (the iPhone picture album I regularly update) and the other here.

This is the enemy I was sent to fight.

1 comment:

  1. Time to update!
    What's been happening this past week :)

    ReplyDelete

If you don't have a profile, just select "Name/URL" and put your name in there. A URL isn't needed. Or be mysterious and go Anonymous!